Admission to the Program
There is no fee for applying to the Academy, nor tuition. Potential Academy members for the fall cohort may begin applying online July 5, 2023, with final applications accepted through August 7, 2023. Any certified minority-owned, woman-owned, or veteran-owned business can apply. The Academy will utilize email as the main mode of communication for the program. The following groups will be invited to apply:
All MDOT certified M/WBE & Veterans Firms
All City/County certified M/WBE & Veterans Firms
Applications will be evaluated by Tradepoint Atlantic and Academy leadership. Finalists will be interviewed before final selections are made. After acceptance into the program, Academy cohort members will undergo 1-1 assessments with Academy leadership to ensure the expert trainers and support teams fully know and understand the businesses represented in the cohort and have the opportunity to tailor and refine the workshop materials to Academy members’ needs.
Academy Member Qualifications
In business for at least one year to ensure they can be approved for minority business certification by state or local government offices.
Tradepoint is hoping to expand its construction business capacity so only professional, construction, supply, and maintenance businesses that support construction activities and projects will be considered for the inaugural cohort. Need to have their MBE/WBE Certification or are in the process of receiving approval.
Responsibilities and Commitment:
- Attendance at two, three-hour sessions at the start of and the conclusion of the program.
- Six, two-hour sessions, once a week for six weeks, beginning at 8:30 am on Friday mornings at Tradepoint Atlantic offices in Sparrows Point.
- Maximum of one class missed during the process. This class will have to be made up.
- Academy member and associated company agrees to the usage of the company name, logo, individual likeness, photography throughout the workshops, etc. in all Tradepoint Atlantic promotional materials of the Academy.
- Responsiveness to the surveys sent out after each of the workshops.
- July: Applications go live.
- August: Applications are reviewed, interviews conducted, and final applicants are selected for the cohort.
- September: Applicants are announced and shared online and via social media.
- September through October: 8-week program commences.
- November: Cohort celebration event.